One thing that my friends know about me, is that I absolutely love chocolate. So it doesn’t come unexpectedly when I say I love hot chocolate too. I even drink it at “inappropriate times”, like hazy summer nights. And yes, I’d still order whipped cream with that.
But only recently I’ve learned that salt can bring out the flavor in chocolate. Manny Delgado taught me that – opposed from Gloria – in an episode of Modern Family. 😉 And not very long after, my sister in law brought home the Tony’s Chocolonely chocolate bar in Sea Salted Caramel. At first I was skeptical, because I hate salt on anything, but it was freaking delicious!
So I’ve probably read 10 different recipes on how to make a salted caramel hot chocolate before I started mine. I’ve read some which had ingredients that I cannot easily buy around here (nah), some with more than 10 ingredients (nahhh) and some that took about two hours cooking (double nahh)! I’m all up for a delicious treat but I’d like to keep it a bit simple too.
Now since I am blogging in English, that doesn’t mean I have switched over to the American metric system. When I’m talking about a cup here below, I mean literally a cup, a mug, like where you want to put your hot chocolate in eventually.
Like I said, I like to keep it simple. I didn’t weighed out my sugar, cacao or vanilla before I started using it. I’ll just try something and I’ll taste it before I serve it. I know some people prefer everything weighed out, but I suggest you do the same for this one. 🙂
Ingredients for 2 servings:
- 2 cups of milk for the chocolate
- 1/2 cup of milk for the caramel syrup
- 1 cup of caramel fudge
- Sea salt
- Unsweetened cacao powder
- Vanilla extract
- Whipped cream
1. Melt the fudge caramels by putting them in a saucepan on low and add 1/2 cup of milk. Stir occasionally until completely melted.
2. Heat 2 cups of milk in a saucepan until warmed, not boiling. Add the cacao powder, sugar and vanilla extract to taste.
3. Add the sea salt to the fudge caramel sauce and stir once more.
4. Pour 2 spoons of the salted caramel syrup into a mug so the inside of the mug is coated well. Add the hot chocolate.
5. Top it off with whipped cream and drizzle some more salted caramel syrup.
So what do you think, are you going to give it a try as well? Or a you not a fan of hot chocolate?