Don’t we all want to feel a bit better and be a bit better than the person we were yesterday? Life is a beautiful mess but I always like to reflect and then look forward to how I can develop myself. But I also believe in balance and baby steps. You can’t go from night to day and stick to it, but you can incorporate one of these steps whenever it makes your comfortable. I thought I’d share 35 simple ways to improve yourself without having to make drastic changes. I’ve mastered a couple of them, but I do have a long road to go…
- Wake up early
- Reduce the time you spend on social media
This is difficult for me, I can easily stay off Facebook, but Instagram and Pinterest are my holy grails.
- Read everyday
Can’t get around this one because of the above, oops.
- Learn a new language
Use an app like DuoLingo to help you in this process, I’ve used it too to prepare for my Spanish dissertation.
- Stretch in the morning
- Start your day with some hot water and lemon
- Incorporate a meatless day at least once a week
- Learn to say ‘no’ to things you don’t really want to do
- Ask for feedback
- Watch an inspirational Ted Talk
- Enroll in a new (online) course
- Try out a new recipe
- Reach out to people you haven’t talked to in a while
I’m so bad at this, I think about a lot of people so many times a day but actually picking up the phone…. nope.
- Quit one bad habit
- Show kindness
- Donate to charity
- Spend some time at a museum
- Set up a cleaning schedule
- Accept what you can’t change
This is one is actually one of my strengths.
- Declutter, anything!
Your wardrobe, toiletries, nail polish, your computer…
- Go outside, breathe in fresh air and get some vitamin N
Definitely my favorite, and if I may choose, make it a combo with #35.
- Plan your future loosely
- Read the news
- Be creative!
Pick up a DIY project
- Make sure to get those 8 hours of sleep
- Turn your phone on flight-mode every once in a while.
I do this every time before I got to bed and at least when I’m in meetings at work.
- Visit a city (or a country) you’ve never been before
- Drink enough water
Or tea! My current favorite is ginger lemon tea.
- Make a list what you’re grateful for
- Start your own vegetable garden
- Pamper yourself
Do a face mask or give yourself a manicure or a pedicure.
- Make a bucket list
Pick 3 things and start planning them for the next year.
- Put on a scented candle, some relaxing music and take a warm bath
- See the sunrise or sunset. Like I said at #22, these two are my favorites. And I did this one the past week every morning. We had some wonderful winter weather here in Holland, where the sun colored reddish purple in the morning. I just couldn’t take my eyes off it.
Which ones are your favorite and what is something you would like to improve?